The societal value creation program of the Impact Licensing
To mitigate the complexity of impact licensing the initiative has developed a unique societal value creation program that removes for technology owners the key hurdles that stand between existing technologies and societal impact on the SDG’s:
Technology holders may not be aware whether and how their technologies could be integrated into social impact service models
- ILI screen technologies of technology owners on their potential to solve societal challenges based on the UN SDG goals
- ILI executes ‘societal markets’ studies to assess to which population groups and domains the technology can have impact at scale and which are not in competition with the commercialization strategy of the technology owner
- ILI identifies supporting technologies to increase access and uptake of the technology of technology owner to deliver impact at scale on SDG’s
Technology holders may be concerned that their technologies may be used in ineffective or illegitimate ways that create little social value or – even worse – have unintended negative effects that may create reputational risks.
- ILI develops a legal framework to protect the interests of the technology holder via an impact licensing agreement (in developed as well as in developing countries)
- ILI develops the framework to enforce quality, eligibility and regulatory compliance processes in the franchise integrated business model
Technology holders rarely have effective adequate social enterprises or impact ventures in their network that could effectively integrate technologies for social impact.
- ILI has the networks and the ability to select partners that are able to integrate successful technologies in social entrepreneurial model
- ILI has extensive expertise in impact venture building to co-create with identified partners an integrated, scalable and economic sustainable business model
Technology holders have not always the expertise to measure and capture impact data in a real-world setting
- ILI develops rigorous impact management strategies to capture real-world data and implements them through imposition in the social franchise model
- ILI has the ability to analyze and report the impact data in an objective way
Technology holders may perceive social impact-related activities as costly investments that distract from necessary competitive actions in core markets
ILI raises impact funding (a) to lift the financial burden for the technology owner and (b) to develop around these technologies leverageable social business models aligned with its own impact investment strategy
The deliverable of ILI’s social value creation program is an impact licensing agreement. Through the impact licensing, the ILI- initiative ensures that the IP rights, the economic and reputational risks of technology owners remain preserved and rewarded, while at the same time it achieves their optimised use for social value-creation to meet societal needs. An impact licensing agreement contains at least five types of enforceable clauses
the eligibility conditions (such as geographies, target groups, use settings, and/or tipping points) to bring these technologies to the defined societal markets,..
Enforcement clauses: procedures for arbitration, enforcement and monitoring of the impact licensing procedure